Liou's quiet little life...or is it?

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Hiroki's concert


(left to right: Takako, former secretary at Asahi Kasei, Hiroki, colleague as well as Marco, me!)

Today, one of my colleagues, Hiroki, gave a concert in a small venue in downtown Toyko together with a set of singers brought together for this occasion. It consisted of songs of various musicals, such as "Les Miserables", "Rent" and also Disney movies. It was very enjoyable, despite my initial prejudices against the musical genre. I actually discussed this with Maarten when he was in Japan. In the Netherlands, musical is considered a commercial product, devoid of any artistic content. Whereas in the UK, London especially, musicals are popular amongst everybody and from what I understand offer a vast amount of topics and range in "intellectual level".


So, I was pleasantly surprised by the voices of the singers - give or take a strong japanese pronunciation of english ;) And although musicals still remain a commercial commodity, this holds true for so many cultural things, not the least cinema for example! So I might give up my elitist view and watch one in London one day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home