Liou's quiet little life...or is it?

Monday, June 26, 2006

Tragedy on the playing field

Just a quick note, nothing I want to linger too long on. Yesterday I have been to Roppongi (one of the night districts of Tokyo, famous for foreigners) to see the match between the Netherlands and Portugal. At 4.00 am on Sunday night, or more correctly Monday morning, mind you!

The obvious question I often get during European cups, and furthermore complicated during World tournaments concerns which team I support. Now, most of the Earth's population will have an easy choice - their maternal country and place of residence -, for me slightly less. Especially when the three countries I consider as having influenced me through my parents and location are all participating. The matter is less trivial than it seems, as people expect you to be loyal to one country. Needless to say, I am not the nationalist type. At least that's what I thought. So why do I end up watching a Dutch football game at an insane time knowing I will not be able to get any sleep before work?

Apparently, I am more attached to this country I believed, although I am not particularly looking forward to returning there. Except to see my friends. And eat cheese and smoked herring. And be able to have more time of my own to spend. By traveling through nearby European countries.

Hmmm...guess all places have their charm and downside.

PS. No regret of watching the match, even though it turned out to be memorable for the wrong reasons...

1 Comments:

  • LIOU!!!! You've been writing far too little lately. I'll just assume you're too busy with work and fun things.. So, when are you coming back? Or have your plans to stay in Japan for a longer period become more concrete? Next time you're online (on msn) give me a shout out! -Raoul

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home